Swansea Ramblers Walk
Leader: Mike Lewis
Today we are visiting the grounds of Penllergare House.
The house, now demolished, was the home of John Dillwyn Llewelyn.
Born in 1810, he was a keen amateur photographer and in the early days of photography carried out many experiments which led to its advancement.
His wife, Emma, was the cousin of the inventor of the negative/positive method of photography, - Henry Fox Talbot of Lacock Abbey.
The extensive grounds are now overgrown and the site of the house was occupied by Lliw Valley Council, then Neath Port Talbot Council and presently by Swansea Council.
At the man made cascade
Mike, our leader, has set a leisurely pace and there is plenty of time to take in the view ...
... and to stop for a snack ...
on the river bank
We visit Dillwyn Llewelyn's Observatory
All photographs Copyright
Alex Thomas 2008
All rights reserved