Swansea Ramblers Walk
To the white Chapel on Gellionen Mountain
Leader: Pat Mindt
The walk starts along the bank of the Swansea Canal to Trebanos
A couple of our members have spotted something interesting in the water ... a fish perhaps?
At Trebanos we stop for a quick coffee break
Coffee in a shady spot
Then we start up the hillside
Quite a steep climb to get to the top
We reached the chapel after a walk across the top of Gellionen Mountain.
It was built in 1692 and rebuilt in 1801. It is known locally as the White Chapel
The wall plaque tells us the chapel was built as a place of worship
for the use of a society of Protestant Dissenters
As we looked around the outside of the chapel, the Minister, The Reverend Eirion phillips arrived.
He not only was kind enough to let us inside the chapel ...
but also gave us a brief history of the bulding and information about current services.
Gellionen is the oldest non-conformist chapel in the area
All photographs Copyright
Alex Thomas 2008
All rights reserved